To Twitter or not to Twitter

2

Category:

For those who don't know what Twitter is, here is the Wikipedia definition on Twitter.

Twitter is a social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to send "updates" (text-based posts, up to 140 characters long) via SMS, instant messaging, the Twitter website or an application such as Twitterrific. These updates are displayed on the user's profile page and also instantly delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them. The sender can restrict delivery to members of his circle of friends, or allow delivery to everybody (which is the default). Users can receive updates via the Twitter website, instant messaging, SMS, RSS, or through an application. For SMS, currently two gateway numbers are available: one for the USA and a UK number for international use. While the twitter service itself is free, posting and receiving updates via SMS typically incurs a charge from the wireless carrier.

Now my findings, does anybody really care what I'm doing at the moment if I'm in my bath or walking in the park with my family??? Well I don't think so, but I also thought that this was really a niche public thing untill I read a post form bvlg on Belgian Twitter Friends. In his post I saw this image. It surprised me to see that "so many" Belgian people where part of the Twitter community! I'm wondering is this just a hype that will pass or is this really the next big thing like Blogging?? One thing is sure at the moment you won't find me in this list, but I'll follow closely what's happening around it.

Technorati tags: ,

Comments (2)

Hi Kris,

Thanks for noticing my post. The graph is based on a little bit more over 200 Twitter accounts from Belgium (the ellipses). These Belgian accounts are linked to over 500 other Twitter accounts (the dots). Compared to the over 50.000 blogs from Flanders, this remains a niche.

A niche maybe but definitely one to watch closely.